Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Before The Electronic Calculator....

THE SLIDE RULE!!!


What is a slide rule?
        It's a tool used to perform mathematical calculations. Tools similar to this one (but not nearly as advanced) date back to the seventeenth century. It became increasingly important for us during the space race. Engineers were using the slide rule for a multitude of  calculations, eventually leading to the success of Apollo 11.
        Using the slide rule is actually more complicated than you would think. Using a slide rule was at one point very effective. Older generations (including my grandparents) will probably tell you that they know how to use a slide rule, and maybe even say that they had used one in school. So in general, this slide rule functioned just as well as the electronic calculators seen today.
        My dad found this particular slide rule at a garage sale and what I found very interesting about this was that there is actually a name etched into the leather case.  The former owner's name is Saul Vela. Obviously I didn't go looking for him considering how many people have that same name, but it was very interesting to imagine what this person used the slide rule for and it was exciting to know that someone had put this object to good use.
        I honestly have no earthly idea how to use a slide rule but I plan on asking my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, and the good old internet to help me figure it out. I believe that knowing how to use the slide rule would be an interesting skill to have.


No comments:

Post a Comment