Tuesday, February 7, 2012

BROWNIE JUNIOR!....A small brownie? NO!!!



Brownie Junior Six-20




         This is my dads old Brownie Junior six-20. He found it at a garage sale about two years ago and has been saving it in a glass case ever since. The finders of the camera are rusting on the edges and foggy but still you can see a rather faint image through them. The vinyl on the outside of the camera is actually intact but the leather strap on the top is deteriorating. This camera isn't really worth much today and I doubt it will be worth very much to many people in the near future, but I just fell in love with it. It's such a simple camera and although I'm the only one who cares about it, I would like to some day restore it to the best of my abilities.
          First I guess I would look for a camera (Ebay) of the same model that has at least the strap in tact and replace that strap onto my camera. I would take my camera apart (which my dad can't wait to do) and see if I can find a non abrasive solution with which to clean the lens and the horizontal and vertical finders. The face plate also has a few abrasion on it, but it's held onto the camera by only four small screws so I'm sure that can also be easily replaced. I know that with all of the imperfections of my camera, that it would be easier just to by another Six-20 in better condition but the case of this brownie is so well intact and the cameras that I've seen online have the most imperfections on the case. In the long run, it's going to be easier for me to clean the internal parts of this camera and add a new face plate and strap. Hopefully, I will find some film for the restored camera and take a picture. That, to me, will be the most satisfying part of the restoration. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment